Text Size   - | +

Private citizens can and do make claims against the City of Omaha. The Political Subdivision Tort Claims Act allows private citizens to bring certain types of claims against governmental entities such as the City. For example, this Act would allow a private citizen to recover damages if s/he were involved in a traffic accident involving an Omaha police cruiser if it was found that the cruiser's driver was at fault.

Like most private persons, the City prefers to settle disputes without resorting to litigation whenever possible. The Tort Claims Act even encourages this by requiring that a citizen claimant have his/her claim filed and evaluated by the City prior to filing a lawsuit in state court.

Property damage and personal injury claims against the City of Omaha are filed with the City Clerk. Please follow the instructions below to file your claim.

Procedures to File a Claim Against the City of Omaha:

  1. Write a letter stating the details – where, when and what happened. Include your contact information (name, address, phone number, and email address).

  2. Submit 2-3 estimates for the cost of repair or replacement. If you complete the repairs yourself, submit copies of all bills and receipts. If personal injury is involved, submit copies of all medical and related bills and receipts. (Pictures are optional.)

    ***All documents submitted must either be scanned in PDF format or mailed/hand delivered to the City Clerk's office. Do not send photos of documents.

  3. You may submit the above information to our office by mail:

    City Clerk's Office
    1819 Farnam St, Suite LC-1
    Omaha, NE 68183

    Or you may submit the above information by email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.


Please note: Claim must be filed within 1 year from date of incident.

The City Clerk is only responsible for the filing of your claim and has no further involvement once it is forwarded to the City's Law Department.

If you would like to check the status of your claim, please contact the City Law Department at (402) 444-5115.


News and Information

  • Public Notices

    2018-01-04 15:36:39

    Click here to view current Public Notices.

  • Budget

    2015-06-05 18:32:47

    Click here to see the City of Omaha's 2018 Adopted Budget. To view previous years' budgets, along with Financial Statements, please visit the Finance Department's website.